The De La Salle Brothers and Sr Maurus recall their time in Goilala
The De La Salle Brothers first arrived in PNG in 1946, by establishing a boarding school in Bomana. In 1948, the Brothers set up a Teacher Training Centre at Yule Island. Ten years later, a community set up another boarding school at Mainohana in 1958.
In subsequent years, the Brothers established communities at Kondiu (1969), Teachers Colleges at Goroka (1978), Holy Trinity, Mt Hagen (1979), and a Primary School at Kagua in 1982.
For many years, the Brothers at Bomana, and more especially at Mainohana, became aware of the particular needs of the people of Goilala; many boys came down from the mountains to board at Mainohana. With the establishment of a Government High School, for both boarders and day students at Tapini, fewer boys attended / boarded at Mainohana.
Over the next few years, the Brothers became aware that the isolation of the Goilala region led to problems for the High School and Community schools. These schools were unable to maintain reliable staffing numbers to stay in Goilala to teach the students.
To read more: Goilala's District Forum Blog